Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Logan functions as conservative safe haven for Muslims



The Logan Islamic Center held an open house Saturday which several dozen Muslims and non-Muslims attended. Guests conversed over curried lamb and rice and listened to presentations about Islam given by members of the center, which is the only mosque in city.

Muslims are a small minority in Cache Valley. There are roughly 160 Muslims in Cache County, compared to more than 70,000 members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

A Fulbright scholar from Egypt studying at Utah State University, Mohammad Hussein coordinates the religious affairs for the center. He said although the Islamic community in Logan is small, it is a good place to be a Muslim.

“Some American friends warned me Utah was one of the most conservative places in the USA,” he said. “But I thought, well, that is sort of an advantage for me because I am conservative myself.”

The conservative demographic of Utah attracted other Muslims at the event when they were considering moving to America as well.

Mohammad Ali, a Muslim from Rajasthan, India, gave a presentation at the open house about his religion. He said that when he fell in love with a Mormon tourist he met in India, his parents were wary of him moving to Utah to live with her.

“I had visited before, so I told them ‘You don’t understand. Utah, it is a holy place,’” Ali said.

Hend Al Daleel, a Muslim from Qatar who moved to Logan, Utah in 2008 to attend Utah State University, said her parents were hesitant to send her to the United States of America. The way American culture was portrayed in the media especially worried her father.

When she got to Utah, Al Daleel found it easy to adjust to the culture.

“It’s kind of easy to be Muslim here. People in Utah are pretty conservative,” said Al Daleel. “I always call them half-Muslims.”

Born in Lebanon, Randa Yassine said it was easy for her to get used to American culture because of how young she was when she came to the United States. She visited her aunt and uncle in the US when she was 13 and decided to stay.

Lebanon is very open and westernized. My family was comfortable sending me to America because they know they raised me well,” Yassine said. “Now it’s my turn to practice what I’ve learned. There hasn’t been any negative influence in Utah so far.”

Al Daleel said there isn’t much temptation in Logan for Muslims.

“You don’t see drunk people all over the town here in Utah,” Al Daleel said. “The people are so nice and it’s just easier to live in this environment. It would be hard to be in Cali for example, where there are different kinds of things going on.”

Yassine said she thinks the ways of dealing with the new culture depend on what country the person is from when they come to America.

“A lot of Iranians have been pushed into being Islamic extremists back home so when they get here they retaliate against that push somehow,” she said. “That’s why a lot of them drink here.”

Yassine said that despite her freedom from Islamic societal pressure in Utah, she still practices Islam in her own way. She just doesn’t follow certain practices because she doesn’t want to be hypocritical, such as wearing a hijab, or veil.

“I cannot properly wear the hijab if I do not pray 5 times a day, and currently I honestly don’t,” Yassine said. “You have to deserve it and be pure inside and out and do all these things, and I feel like I’m not ready.”

She said she does want to wear the hijab eventually when she feels she is worthy.

“Once I purify myself from all things of the world then I will wear the veil and be satisfied with myself and be proud of myself,” Yassine said.

Hussein, Ali, Yassine and Al Daleel all said they were satisfied with the environment in Utah.

“I have never encountered a problem with acceptance here,” Hussein said. “I feel it is an advantage being Muslim in this community because people are always asking me questions and having enriching discussions with me.”

Ali declared he has no plans to leave the state.

“It’s a great place to be a Muslim,” he said. “The Mormons are great. So great I even married one. They’re a good people to live among."

No comments:

Post a Comment